I think also at issue is the maven build system. I don't know if its
intended, but if I change a single .java file, "mvn -Pdist -P-cbuild
-Dmaven.javadoc.skip -DskipTests install" runs a TON of stuff.... It takes
a 1m 29s to finish even if there are NO changes anywhere. I doubt this is
how it should be. Am I doing it right?

In my mind, the gmake model (where a recipe is run only if the target is
older than the prerequisites) is what maven should do for us. Its senseless
to rebuild stuff if it hasn't changed. Probably some configuration needs
fixing.

I'm afraid though that if we fix it, I might end up being too productive
and fix all of Hadoop.