Single node developer build may be supported independently from
package installed builds.  There are multiple ways to achieve this.
The current method is using shell script to support different
deployment conditions.  This is a awkward and inefficient way to
maintain compatibility to support packaged build and developer via the
same script.  "mvn package" compiles jar files and native libraries
then place the output in a deployment structure.  Most of the time
developer does not want the compiled jar files and native libraries to
be reorganized.  This would save the compilation time by 30-50%, and
enable developer to focus on making changes rather than
waiting for "mvn package"

I propose to enhance mvn eclipse:eclipse support which creates a
integrated runtime environment for developer to compile and run code
directly within eclipse and let this be the default standard
environment for developer.  The shell script can completely remove
support of running development structure and focus on packaged runtime
structure.  This will provide a cleaner separation for developer and
packager to focus on their tasks at hand.

The only issue for this approach would be for developer that do not
develop with eclipse, then they need to repeat "mvn package" like
packagers.  I think this is a good trade off, and it may improve
Hadoop's ability to stay OS natural, if the development environment
does not depend on shell script.

regards,
Eric