Hi Colin,

OK, I didn't know there was a hdfs-dev.
I'm happy to ask there.
(However there's a lot of mail on dev@hadoop
and user@hadoop as well as user@hive
and it's a bit of a commitment to track them all.)
As for webhdfs, I did think about that, and in
some ways it's a beautiful solution as it
gives me a platform- and language-neutral
access mechanism. I was just a little worried
about the HTTP overhead if I am reading a single
record at a time. Also I will need some way to launch
my Map/Reduce jobs as well. So I'll probably
end up using the C++/JNI/Java route to do
that anyway. Unless there's a better way?
Is there a web Map/Reduce interface?

Many thanks,