Sorry, to clarify my point a little more, Ant does allow you to make
declarations to explicitly set the desired file permissions via the
fileMode attribute of a tarfileset.  However, it does not have the
capability to preserve whatever permissions were naturally created on files
earlier in the build process.  This is a difference in maintainability, as
adding new files to the build may then require extra maintenance of the Ant
directives to apply the desired fileMode.  This is an easy thing to
overlook.  A solution that preserves the natural permissions requires less
maintenance overhead.

I couldn't find a way to make assembly plugin preserve permissions like
this either.  It just has explicit fileMode directives similar to Ant.
 (Let me know if I missed something though.)

To see symlinks show up in distribution tarballs, you need to build with
the native components, like libhadoop.so or bundled Snappy.

Thanks,
--Chris