Unfortunately, there are a couple of spots where it gets really messy and
directory-wide rules fail to cover it.  The trickiest maintenance issue is
hadoop-hdfs-httpfs, where we unpack and repack a Tomcat.  Initially, I
tried to do this using only the ant plugin, but I wound up with a ton of
different tarfileset directives with different fileMode values to reapply
the same permissions that were present in the original Tomcat distribution.
 This also would have been a brittle solution, because changes in the
Tomcat package would risk invalidating our ant rules.  A solution that
preserves the original permissions reduces this kind of maintenance work.

Thanks,
--Chris