Thanks for the feedback Luke. You make a good case - to be honest I shyed
away from modifying the default implementation since I figured it's better
to leave existing functionality as is, but you're right that being forced
to choose an implementation (on-demand vs. periodic) can get annoying. Let
me try out that approach and either post an alternative patch to the JIRA
or report back on why I failed.