Hadoop's bylaws do draw finer distinctions than the Apache voting
guidelines document, but we follow the same general principles that
are described there.

As I understand it, the rationale for using consensus for code is that
everyone needs to agree on everything in the codebase or we've
disenfranchised some.  We share a single code repository and we need
to all agree on what goes into it.  A release does not require
majority since if someone doesn't agree on the timing of a release
they can choose to make another at a different time, but every change
that goes into each release requires consensus.  We also require
consensus for committers and PMC member votes so that we have a group
that's coherent and is able to reach consensus on code changes.

Re-writing bash scripts in Python is neither a release nor other
procedural issue.  It involves changes to the software we maintain and
seems to fall clearly into the "code change" category.

If you disagree then perhaps you'd like to propose a change to the
bylaws so that scripts have different rules than other kinds of
software, but I don't yet see the rationale for such a change.

Doug