first setup the build environment. I use a script to setup following
properties, you need to modify it:
export M2_HOME=~/development/apache-maven-3.0.4
export M2=$M2_HOME/bin
export ANT_HOME=/opt/apache-ant-1.8.4
export PATH=$M2:$ANT_HOME/bin:$PATH:
export GREP_OPTIONS='--color=auto'
export HADOOP_HOME=~/development/hadoop-1.1.2
export HADOOP_LOG_DIR=$HADOOP_HOME/logs
export ECLIPSE_HOME=~/development/eclipse
export FORREST_HOME=~/development/apache-forrest-0.8
export PATH=$PATH:$FORREST_HOME/bin
export JAVA_HOME=~/development/ibm-java-x86_64-60
export PATH=
$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH:$M2:$ANT_HOME/bin:~/development/protobuf-2.4.1/src:/usr/lib64

export CLASSPATH=$ANT_HOME/lib:$CLASSPATH:$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib:$ANT_HOME/lib:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=
$HADOOP_HOME/build/native/Linux-amd64-64/lib:$ANT_HOME/lib:/usr/lib64
umask 0022

then build by:
ant clean package -Djava5.home=/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_22
-Dforrest.home=/home/sanjar/development/apache-forrest-0.8
-Dcompile.native=true

Best Regards
Amir Sanjar

System Management Architect
PowerLinux Open Source Hadoop development lead
IBM Senior Software Engineer
Phone# 512-286-8393
Fax#      512-838-8858