(initially respond on general@, sorry about that. copied here)

+1 (non-binding)

From my perspective:

* The key feature that will drive me to adopt 2.x is Rolling Upgrades
* In order to get to rolling upgrades, we need a compatibility story that
is significantly better than we have today
** We need a comprehensive definition of what compatibility really means
  ** We need better testing in place to verify we're not breaking
compatibility
** We need better definition and testing of what rolling upgrades really
means. Rolling between bug-fix releases ­ Required, Rolling between minor
releases ­ Required, Rolling between major releases ­ Desired.
  ** We need work-preserving restart on the YARN side. Restarting jobs
isn't sufficient.
** ...
* Given that Rolling upgrades aren't there yet, and there is still work to
be done to solidify the compatibility story, I'm ok with the feature
window remaining open until these are in place, especially given the fact
that the proposed features are likely to have non-zero impact on
compatibility/rolling_upgrades.
* I'd certainly like a release with rolling upgrades as soon as possible,
so I feel like the feature window needs to ramp down very quickly.
Something like 2.0.5-beta in May with the current list of proposed
features, then 2.0.6-beta in late summer with full rolling upgrade support
and a solid compatibility story, would seem like a reasonable timeline.
Once we have a beta release with rolling upgrades, I can look at pushing
2.x to some of our larger clusters.

Nathan Roberts
nrobe...@yahoo-inc.com