All -

After combing through this thread - as well as the summit session summary
thread, I think that we have the following two items that we can probably move
forward with:

1. TokenAuth method - assuming this means the pluggable authentication
mechanisms within the RPC layer (2 votes: Kai and Kyle)
2. An actual Hadoop Token format (2 votes: Brian and myself)

I propose that we attack both of these aspects as one. Let's provide the
structure and interfaces of the pluggable framework for use in the RPC layer
through leveraging Daryn's pluggability work and POC it with a particular token
format (not necessarily the only format ever supported - we just need one to
start). If there has already been work done in this area by anyone then please
speak up and commit to providing a patch - so that we don't duplicate effort.

@Daryn - is there a particular Jira or set of Jiras that we can look at to
discern the pluggability mechanism details? Documentation of it would be great
as well.
@Kai - do you have existing code for the pluggable token authentication
mechanism - if not, we can take a stab at representing it with interfaces
and/or POC code.
I can standup and say that we have a token format that we have been working
with already and can provide a patch that represents it as a contribution to
test out the pluggable tokenAuth.

These patches will provide progress toward code being the central discussion
vehicle. As a community, we can then incrementally build on that foundation in
order to collaboratively deliver the common vision.

In the absence of any other home for posting such patches, let's assume that
they will be attached to HADOOP-9392 - or a dedicated subtask for this
particular aspect/s - I will leave that detail to Kai.

@Alejandro, being the only voice on this thread that isn't represented in the
votes above, please feel free to agree or disagree with this direction.

thanks,

--larry