If we're serious about not breaking compatibility after GA, then we need to
slow down and make sure we get these new APIs right, or can add them in a
compatible fashion.

HADOOP-9984 ended up being a bigger change than initially expected, and we
need to break compatibility with out-of-tree FileSystems to do it properly.
I would like to see HADOOP-9972 in as well (globLinkStatus), and there are
open questions on HADOOP-9984 about changing PathFilter and
FileStatus.getPath() semantics (which would be incompatible). Yes, we could
just +1 HADOOP-9984 and stamp 2.2.0 on it, but I think it looks bad to then
immediately turn around and release an incompatible 2.3.

My preference is still for a 2.1.2 with the above API questions resolved,
then an actual API-stable 2.2.0 GA. This is already punting out all the
other related FS/tooling changes that we think can be done compatibly but
are still pretty crucial: shell, distcp, webhdfs, hftp; it'd be great to
get help on any of these.

Thanks,
Andrew