Arun, great to hear 2.3 is coming down the pipe! I also agree with Suresh
that we should move ahead without symlinks, which is why I moved it out of
the 2.4 section on the roadmap wiki page.

In terms of other 2.4 features, it seems risky to try and squeeze this many
new features into branch-2 in the next week. I'd love to see us instead get
on a regular monthly-ish 2.x release schedule (again, I'm willing to help
out here), where we put a new feature in a release only when we're
confident it's production ready. Time-based releases remove the pressure of
cramming in all the features every time, which I think is something we've
suffered from in the past.

So, as per my earlier email, I think a 2.4 with just HDFS-4949, HDFS-2832,
and YARN-149 would be an attractive and stable release, and is something we
could actually cut this week and vote on before the month is out. The other
stuff we can ship in Feb or March when it's gotten a chance to bake for a
bit, and culturally speaking, the fact that it's in 2.5 rather than 2.4
shouldn't be a big deal.

Thanks,
Andrew