I think YARN-149 will be ready if we do a 2.4 release sometime next month. The
same goes for YARN-321 also. The merge-to-trunk vote is happening now and it
should be in a good shape soon if we stick to the early plan that is laid out
in the roadmap. Overall, a bunch of us in the YARN side have been working on
features like YARN-149 and YARN-321 assuming a target release of 2.4. Release
numbers don't make a big deal, but we need to be sure about the perceived and
publicized stability of these features. For e.g., what is the story of
compatibility if we ship alpha/beta YARN-149 in 2.4 by this month-end? I'd like
us all to agree labeling features as alpha/beta/stable formally before making
an offhanded decision. Will start a separate thread for this.

Also, we are yet to release a 2.3? The RC is supposedly a WIP and we'll take a
week for its release. Which will already be end of the month. Shall we wait
till that goes out? Cutting a branch for 2.4 next week or end of this month
seems reasonable and inline with the previous plans. What are the timelines for
the 2.4 release accordingly if 2.5 were to be started middle of next month.

Overall, may be I am missing some threads, but, have we discussed and already
decided on this new way of monthly release-plans? Even if we did, I don't
recall us saying it will start with 2.4 and don't see an urgency for it to be.
Let's start that new process with 2.5 if there is an apparent agreement. We
will also need to figure out more things before we take this plunge. Some them
include:
 - What happens to WIP features? Shall we start calling them alpha/beta/stable?
 - How do we communicate the non-readiness of some WIP features?
 - What about the compatibility story of WIP features across these monthly
releases?
 - A monthly release with a release-vote that takes a week? That seems like a
terrible overhead.
 - What about downstream projects? BigTop is in with these monthly cycles?

Thanks,
+vinod

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE