Hi Steve, let me confirm that I understand your proposal correctly:

- Release an intermediate Hadoop 3 a few months out, based on JDK7 and with
bumped library versions
- Release a Hadoop 4 mid next year, based on JDK8

I question the utility of an intermediate Hadoop 3 like this. Assuming that
it gets out in September (i.e. roughly when a 2.6 would land), we're
looking at a valid lifespan of about 7 months before JDK7 is EOL in April.
If this release also breaks compatibility by changing library versions,
then it looks less and less appealing from a user perspective. I suspect it
would end up seeing low adoption as everyone waits (at most) 7 months for
the JDK8-based release to emerge.

I'd be more okay with an intermediate release with no incompatible changes
whatsoever besides bumping the JDK requirement to JDK7. However, it'd still
be a weak release considering that branch-2 already runs fine on JDK7, and
it looks somewhat bad publicly as we burn another major release number less
than a year since 2.x going GA.

This is why I'd like to keep my original proposal on the table: keep going
with branch-2 in the near term, while working towards a JDK8-based Hadoop 3
by April next year. It doesn't need to be a big bang release either. I'd be
delighted if we could rolling upgrade from one to the other. I just didn't
want to rule out the inclusion of some very compelling feature outright.
Trust me though, I'd be the first person to ask about compatibility if such
a feature does come up.

I'll also posit that people will shy away from using JDK8 features while
branch-2 remains in active use. There's definitely some new shiny there,
but nothing compelling enough to me personally when weighed against the
pain of harder branch-2 backports.

Let's try to keep this thread focused on the planning side of things
though, deferring JDK-feature-related discussion to a different thread.
We'd need to draw up a code-style doc on the wiki, but it sounds like
something Steve and/or I could draft initially.

Thanks,
Andrew