After further consideration, here is an alternate.

On Jun 21, 2014, at 11:14 AM, "Arun C. Murthy" <a...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> JDK6 eol was Feb 2013 and, a year later, we are still have customers using it
> - which means we can't drop it yet.
>
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html
>
> Given that, it seems highly unlikely everyone will suddenly jump to JDK8 by
> April of next year... I suspect this means we'd have to support JDK7 at least
> till late 2015. I think, that, is really key regardless of version numbers.
>
> Furthermore, if we, as a community, maintain discipline in terms of
> wire-compat, rolling-upgrades etc. we are better off making a major release
> every year - as you put, no more 'Big Bang' releases.

Looking at the big picture, I believe the users of Apache Hadoop would be
better served by us if we prioritized operational aspects such as rolling
upgrades, wire-compatibility, binary etc. for a couple of years.

Since not everyone has moved to hadoop-2 yet, talk of more incompatibility
between hadoop-2/hadoop-3 or between hadoop-3/hadoop-4 within the next 12
months would certainly be a big issue for users - especially w.r.t rolling
upgrades, wire-compat etc.

So, I think we should prioritize these operational aspects for users above
everything else. Sure, jdk versions, features etc. are important, but lower in
priority.

I'd also like to reiterate my concern on *dropping* support for a JDK7 - we
need to support it till end of 2015 at the very least; happy to ship a version
of Hadoop which is JDK8 only in 2015 - it just needs to support
rolling-upgrades from the JDK7 Hadoop till end of 2015.

With that in mind... I actually like Andrew's suggestion below:

>  On Jun 21, 2014, at 8:01 AM, Andrew Wang <andrew.w...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
>  I'd be more okay with an intermediate release with no incompatible changes
>  whatsoever besides bumping the JDK requirement to JDK7.

Taking that thought to it's logical conclusion, we can de-couple the dual
concerns of JDK versions and major releases but bumping up our software
dependencies (JDK, guice etc.) at well-defined and well-articulated releases.

The reason to so would be to ensure we *do not* sneak in operational
incompatibilities in the guise of bumping JDK versions.

So, we could do something like:
# hadoop-2.30+ is JDK7, but provides rolling upgrades and wire-compat with
hadoop-2.2+; say in Oct 2014
# hadoop-2.50+ is JDK8, but provides rolling upgrades and wire-compat with
hadoop-2.2+; say in June 2015 (or even earlier).

This scheme certainly has some dis-advantages, however it has the significant
advantage of making it *very* clear to end-users and administrators that we
take operational aspects seriously.

Also, this is something we already have done i.e. we updated some of our
software deps in hadoop-2.4 v/s hadoop-2.2 - clearly not something as dramatic
as JDK. Here are some examples:

In summary, the key goals we should keep in mind are:
# Operational aspects such as rolling upgrades, wire-compat etc. for the next
couple of years.
# Support JDK7 till end of 2015 at least, even if we decide to support JDK8
sometime in 2015. Just ensure wire-compat, rolling-upgrades etc.

Thoughts?

thanks,
Arun
--