It’s now September.  With the passage of time, I have a lot of doubts
about this plan and where that trajectory takes us.

* The list of changes that are already in branch-2 scare the crap out of any
risk adverse person (Hello to my fellow operations people!). Not only are the
number of changes extremely high, but in addition there are a lot of major,
blockbuster features in what is supposed to be a minor release.  Combined with
the fact that we’ve had to do some micro releases, it seems to hint that
branch-2 is getting less stable over time.

*  One of the plans talked about was rolling a 2.7 release that drops JDK6 and
makes JDK7 the standard.  If 2.7 comes after 2.6 in October, date wise  makes
it somewhere around January 2015.  JDK7 EOL’s in April 2015.  So we’ll have a
viable JDK7 release for exactly 3 months.  Frankly, it is too late for us to
talk about JDK7 and we need to start thinking about JDK8.

* trunk is currently sitting at 3 years old.  There is a lot of stuff that has
been hanging around that really needs to get into people hands so that we can
start stabilizing it for a “real” release.

To me this all says one thing:

        Drop the 2.6.0 release, branch trunk, and start rolling a 3.0.0-alpha
with JDK8 as the minimum.  2.5.1 becomes the base for all sustaining work.
This gives the rest of the community time to move to JDK8 if they haven’t
already.  For downstream vendors, it gives a roadmap for their customers who
will be asking about JDK8 sooner rather than later.  By the time 3.0
stabilizes, we’re probably looking at April, which is perfect timing.

        One of the issues I’ve heard mention is that 3.0 doesn’t have anything
“compelling” in it.  Well, dropping 2.6 makes the feature list the carrot, JDK8
support is obviously the stick.

        Thoughts?