In this (and the related threads), I see the following three requirements:

1. "Bump the source JDK version to JDK8" (ie, drop JDK7 support).

2. "We'll still be releasing 2.x releases for a while, with similar
feature sets as 3.x."

3. Avoid the "risk of split-brain behavior" by "minimize backporting
headaches. Pulling trunk > branch-2 > branch-2.x is already tedious.
Adding a branch-3, branch-3.x would be obnoxious."

These three cannot be achieved at the same time.  Which do we abandon?