On Apr 2, 2015, at 9:51 AM, Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com> wrote:

>> a) remove CHANGES.TXT from trunk
>>

> Removing this from trunk makes it particularly hard to cherry-pick changes
> from trunk to branch-2. I would gate this on the removal of CHANGES.txt on
> branch-2 as well, at least until we have some non-future releases off
> branch-2.

        Removing changes.txt, relnotes.py, etc from branch-2 would be an
incompatible change.  Pushing aside the questions of that document’s quality
(hint: lots of outright lying and missing several hundred jiras), it's
effectively an interface in used by quite a few folks.

        But in reality, I suspect the opposite: removing changes.txt just from
trunk will make cherry picks easier.  If you don’t have to update trunk’s
changes.txt, you can cherry-pick with no worries about conflict merges on
changes.txt in other branches.  Then just update changes.txt in branch-2
manually as you would have done pre- this change anyway.

>> b) pre-populate x amount of Hadoop 2.x release data into trunk so that the
>> auto-indexer can pick it up
>> c) update the HowToRelease information with, well, how to do releases
>> based upon these new capabilities
>>

> There is a create-release script that likely needs updating.

        Yup.  I knew about it (I happen to have it running in another window as
I type this), but from what I can see, it’s completely undocumented. :(  As I
update HowToRelease, I’m going to puts some notes in it about this script.