Forking the thread.

In the previous 2.7.1 thread [1], there were enough yays to my proposal to wait
for a bug-fix release or two before calling a 2.x release stable. There were
some concerns about the naming.

We have two options, taking 2.8 as an example
 (1) Release 2.8.0, call it as an alpha in documentation and release notes,
wait for a 2.8.1/2.8.2 reasonably stable enough to be called as the first
stable release of 2.8.
 (2) Release 2.8.0-alpha, 2.8.0-beta etc before culminating in a 2.8.0 stable
release.

(1) is what I preferred first up. This is what HBase used to do, and far
beyond, in the linux kernel releases. It helps in scenarios where we are forced
to downgrade a release, say due to major issues. We can simply announce it as
not stable retroactively, change the pointers on our website and move on.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
+Vinod

[1] http://markmail.org/thread/ogzk4phj6wsdpssu