Quote from that page (i.e. the big block in RED at the top):

The information on this page is for Archive Purposes Only
This page is not being actively maintained.
Links within the documentation may not work and the information itself may
no longer be valid.
The last revision to this document was made on April 20, 1999

So the 80 chars thing was at best reconsidered 16 years ago.

Things have changed ...

Niels Basjes

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 8:21 PM, Jonathan Eagles <jeag...@gmail.com> wrote:

> More formally, we follow the sun java coding standards which follow
> the 80 character limit. There is recent discussion over this, so it is
> a very relevant comment.
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToContribute
>
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/documentation/codeconventions-136091.html#313
>
> On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 1:11 PM, Allen Wittenauer <a...@altiscale.com> wrote:
> >
> > On May 5, 2015, at 11:05 AM, Rich Haase <rha...@pandora.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Can someone explain to me why on earth we care about limiting line
> length to 80 characters?  Are there hadoop developers out there working
> from teletype terminals?  Can we perhaps update this limit to something
> sane, like 120 chars?
> >>

> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-common-dev/201407.mbox/%3CCALEq1Z8QvHof1A3zO0W5WGfbNjCOpfNo==jktq8jiu6efm_...@mail.gmail.com%3E

Niels Basjes