Arun,

I use my IDE split vertically all the time on projects without strict line
limits and I have never had a problem seeing the code from multiple classes in
such a setup.

I can certainly setup my IDE to only do 80 characters a line, although I think
it hurts readability in many cases where long names force method calls to wrap
across many lines.  The reason I initially asked about the line length limit
being so low is that I am having to reformat a quite a bit of the distcp code
in order to submit a patch.  It’s clear to me that distcp did not follow the
code standards being checked by checkstyle.  While I don’t mind refactoring
code to meet a standard I think that standard should reflect the state of
development environments used this decade.

Rich

On May 5, 2015, at 1:36 PM, Arun Suresh