On Jun 12, 2015, at 1:03 PM, Alan Burlison <alan.burli...@oracle.com> wrote:

> On 14/05/2015 18:41, Chris Nauroth wrote:
>
>> As a reminder though, the community probably would want to see a strong
>> justification for the upgrade in terms of features or performance or
>> something else.  Right now, I'm not seeing a significant benefit for us
>> based on my reading of their release notes.  I think it's worthwhile to
>> figure this out first.  Otherwise, there is a risk that any testing work
>> turns out to be a wasted effort.
>
> One reason at least: PB 2.5.0 has no support for Solaris SPARC. 2.6.1 does.

        That's a pretty good reason.

        Some of us had a discussion at Summit about effectively forking
protobuf and making it an Apache TLP.  This would give us a chance to get out
from under Google's blind spot, guarantee better compatibility across the
ecosystem, etc, etc.

        It is sounding more and more like that's really what needs to happen.