I can't answer the original question but can point out the protostuff (
https://github.com/protostuff/protostuff) folks have been responsive and
friendly in the past when we (HBase) were curious about swapping in their
stuff. Two significant benefits of protostuff, IMHO, is ASL 2 licensing and
everything is implemented in Java including the compiler.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)