+1 for a branch; ideally not too long lived. Dhruba still has commit rights,
perhaps he could be persuaded to help with it.

If you look at the Hadoop code, it's not just network assumptions, it's fairly
brittle to bad network setup -and not helpful when these situations arise. What
could be good as part of this/a slideline is to have some entry point where you
can probe network setup, failing fast (with an error code) if a condition isn't
met (e.g. the JVM doesn't get an IPv6 address, or its address doesn't match
that you get when you look up the hostname)