> On Aug 25, 2017, at 10:36 AM, Andrew Wang <andrew.w...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Until we need to make incompatible changes, there's no need for
> a Hadoop 4.0 version.

Some questions:

        Doesn't this place an undue burden on the contributor with the first
incompatible patch to prove worthiness?  What happens if it is decided that
it's not good enough?

        How many will it take before the dam will break?  Or is there a
timeline going to be given before trunk gets set to 4.x?

        Given the number of committers that openly ignore discussions like
this, who is going to verify that incompatible changes don't get in?

        Longer term:  what is the PMC doing to make sure we start doing major
releases in a timely fashion again?  In other words, is this really an issue if
we shoot for another major in (throws dart) 2 years?