> On Sep 14, 2017, at 8:03 AM, Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> * HADOOP-14654 updated commons-httplient to a new patch release in
> hadoop-project
> * Precommit checked the modules that changed (i.e. not many)
> * nightly had Azure support break due to a change in behavior.

        OK, so it worked as coded/designed.

> Is this just the cost of our approach to precommit vs post commit testing?

        Yes.  It’s a classic speed vs. size computing problem.

test-patch: quick but only runs a subset of tests
qbt: comprehensive but takes a very long time

        Committers MUST check the qbt output after a commit.  They MUST make
sure their commit didn’t break something new.

> One approach: do a dependency:list of each module and for those that show a
> change with the patch we run tests there.

        As soon as you change something like junit, you’re running over
everything …

        Plus, let’s get real: there is a large contingent of committers that
barely take the time to read or even comprehend the current Yetus output.
Adding *more* output is the last thing we want to do.

> This will cause a slew of tests to run when dependencies change. For the
> change in HADOOP-14654 probably we'd just have to run at the top level.

        … e.g., exactly what qbt does for 10+ hours every night.

        It’s important to also recognize that we need to be “good citizens” in
the ASF. If we can do dependency checking in one 10 hour streak vs. several,
that reduces the load on the ASF build infrastructure.