https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HADOOP/Hadoop+3+release+status+updates

2017-10-06

The beta1 RC0 vote passed, and beta1 is out! Now tracking GA features.

Highlights:

   - 3.0.0-beta1 has been released!
   - Router-based federation merge vote should be about to pass
   - API-based scheduler configuration merge vote is out, has the votes so
   far

Red flags:

   - Still need to nail down whether we're going to try and merge resource
   profiles. I've been emailing with Wangda and Daniel about this, we need to
   reach a decision ASAP (might already be too late).
   - Still waiting on Allen to review YARN native services feature.

Previously tracked GA blockers that have been resolved or dropped:

   - YARN-7134
   <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-7134?src=confmacro> -
AppSchedulingInfo
   has a dependency on capacity schedulerOPEN:  Wangda downgraded this to
   "Major", dropping from list.

GA blockers:

   - YARN-6623
   <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-6623?src=confmacro> - Add
   support to turn off launching privileged containers in the
   container-executor PATCH AVAILABLE: Actively being reviewed
   - Change of ExecutionType
      - YARN-7275
      <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-7275?src=confmacro> - NM
      Statestore cleanup for Container updatesPATCH AVAILABLE: Kartheek has
      posted a patch, waiting for review
      - YARN-7178
      <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-7178?src=confmacro> - Add
      documentation for Container Update API OPEN : No update from Arun,
      though it's just a docs patch
   - ReservationSystem
      - YARN-4859
      <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-4859?src=confmacro> - [Bug]
      Unable to submit a job to a reservation when using FairScheduler OPEN:
      Yufei has picked this up
      - YARN-4827
      <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-4827?src=confmacro>
- Document
      configuration of ReservationSystem for FairScheduler OPEN: Yufei has
      picked this up, just a docs patch
   - Rolling upgrade
      - YARN-6142
      <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-6142?src=confmacro> - Support
      rolling upgrade between 2.x and 3.x OPEN : Ray is still going through
      JACC and proto output
      - HDFS-11096
      <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-11096?src=confmacro>
- Support
      rolling upgrade between 2.x and 3.xPATCH AVAILABLE: Sean has revved
      the patch and is waiting on reviews from Ray, Allen

Features merged for GA:

   - Erasure coding
      - Continued bug reporting and fixing based on testing at Cloudera.
      - Still need to finish the 3.0 must-do's
   - Classpath isolation (HADOOP-11656)
   - HADOOP-14771 is still floating, along with adding documentation.
   - Compat guide (HADOOP-13714
   <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-13714>)
      - Synced with Daniel, he plans to wrap up the remaining  stuff next
      week
   - TSv2 alpha 2
   - This was merged, no problems thus far [image: (smile)]

Unmerged features:

   - Resource types / profiles (YARN-3926
   <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-3926> and YARN-7069
   <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-7069>) (Wangda Tan)
      - This has been merged for 3.1.0, YARN-7069 tracks follow on work
      - Wangda said that he's okay waiting for 3.1.0 for this, we're
      waiting on Daniel. I synced with Daniel earlier this week, and
he wants to
      try and get some of it into 3.0.0. Waiting on an update.
      - I still need a JIRA query for tracking the state of this.
   - HDFS router-based federation (HDFS-10467
   <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-10467>) (Inigo Goiri and
   Chris Douglas)
   - Merge vote should close any minute now
   - API-based scheduler configuration (Jonathan Hung)
      - Merge vote is out, will close next week
   - YARN native services (YARN-5079
   <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-5079>) (Jian He)
      - Subtasks were filed to address Allen's review comments from the
      previous merge vote, only one pending
      - We need to confirm with Allen that this is ready to go, he hasn't
      been reviewing