Thanks Junping for driving this.

For the bug fix vs. improvement, it is actually very hard to define,
improvement could be self-contained and useful, bug fix could be dangerous
in some cases. To me, If an improvement fixed some existing use case, and
the fix is self-contained. I will be open to bring such fix to maintenance
release. For example, in 2.8.2, we back ported CapacityScheduler intra
queue preemption https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-2113. It is a
big change in terms of patch size, but since it fixes broken use case
(balance user usage under Capacity Scheduler leaf queue), we backported it
to 2.8.2 after thorough tests and validations by Yahoo.

I'm not quite familiar with HADOOP-14964, I will leave the decision to
committers who know more about the field.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Wangda