+1 for merge –no-ff for feature merge.
Do we all agree on this optimization for going forward?

Regards,
Eric

On 12/15/17, 10:34 AM, "Chris Douglas" <cdoug...@apache.org> wrote:

    On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 9:40 PM, Eric Yang <ey...@apache.org> wrote:
    > I am looking for a way to reduce time spent on testing latest commits.
    > [...]
    > People who did the
    > feature merge is likely already did the full build test to ensure they
    > didn't break trunk, but there is no easy indicator where the rebase start
    > and ends.

    OK, I think I understand. If we force a merge commit (i.e., specify
    --no-ff during the merge) then I think that has the property you're
    looking for without squashing all the history into a single commit. -C

<zhengkai...@alibaba-inc.com<mailto:
> [...]
wangda)
    >> >     >     >     >
    >> >     >     >     >     Change-Id: I1ed58dafad5cc276eea5c0b0813cf
    >> 04f57d73a87
    >> >     >     >     >
    >> >     >     >     > commit 6555af81a26b0b72ec3bee7034e01f5bd84b1564
    >> >     >     >     > Author: Aaron Fabbri <fab...@apache.org<mailto:
    >> >     > fab...@apache.org>>
    >> >     >     >     > Date:   Tue Dec 5 11:06:32 2017 -0800
    >> >     >     >     >
    >> >     >     >     >     HADOOP-14475 Metrics of S3A don't print out when
    >> > enabled.
    >> >     > Contributed
    >> >     >     >     > by Younger and Sean Mackrory.
    >> >     >     >     >
    >> >     >     >     >
    >> >     >     >     >
    >> >     >     >     > - Sunil
    >> >     >     >     >
    >> >     >     >     >
    >> >     >     >     > On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 12:29 AM Eric Yang <
    >> >     > ey...@hortonworks.com<mailto:
    >> >     >     >     > ey...@hortonworks.com>> wrote:
    >> >     >     >     > Hi all,
    >> >     >     >     >
    >> >     >     >     > While troubleshooting a trunk build failure, I notice
    >> the
    >> >     > commit history
    >> >     >     >     > for trunk between Nov 30th to Dec 6th are squashed or
    >> >     > disappeared for no
    >> >     >     >     > reason.  This seems to have taken place in the last
24
    >> > hours.
    >> >     > I can see
    >> >     >     >     > the commit logs from github UI.  When doing a new
clone
    >> > from
    >> >     > Apache Git and
    >> >     >     >     > Github, the commit histories between those dates are
    >> > gone.  I
    >> >     > usually
    >> >     >     >     > maintain two git repositories, one for testing and
one
    >> > for
    >> >     > development.
    >> >     >     >     > Both repositories were sync up with github
frequently,
    >> > and
    >> >     > only test
    >> >     >     >     > repository was updated today and the missing history
    >> only
    >> >     > reflect in test
    >> >     >     >     > repository.  This is the reason that I have the
    >> > impression
    >> >     > that this might
    >> >     >     >     > have happened in the last 24 hours.  I did some spot
    >> > check to
    >> >     > see if the
    >> >     >     >     > missing commits are in trunk.  The code seems to be
in
    >> > place,
    >> >     > and only
    >> >     >     >     > commit history is gone.
    >> >     >     >     > Is there any way to fix the commit history?
Hopefully