Hi Garret,

My responses hitherto indicate that I'm currently focusing on setting up
a CI for Windows for building Hadoop and getting the unit tests to run on
it.
I believe, without these, no matter the improvements, the build is bound
to be broken someday. I would thus like to prioritize setting up of the CI
over
deprecation of winutils.

However, I don't see anyone stopping you from working on removing
winutils. I encourage you to put across a PR and I would be glad to review
the same.

One question I've is - how will you validate that your changes work fine
and don't regress the existing functionality, given that we don't yet have
a CI for Hadoop on Windows?

Thanks,
--Gautham