What do you mean by your own java application? What are you trying to run?
Is it a Map Reduce job?

Secondly, hadoop talks to a database only when you are trying to read/write
data during a job... There is nothing else that it does.

The connectors to interface with databases are DBInputFormat and
DBOutputFormat.

-ak

Amandeep Khurana
Computer Science Graduate Student