One other data point here - you may find that some vendors will supply servers using "enterprise" drives rather than "consumer" drives (see http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=503 versus http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=576 for an example).

You'll find the enterprise drives are generally more expensive and don't follow the same price drop curve as the consumer drives. I can't definitively say whether the enterprise drives are worth the extra spend - the vendors will tell you that the consumer class drives aren't designed/manufactured to run 24x7 like the enterprise drives (apparently the enterprise drives are designed to be more vibration resistant also, which is a feature aimed at the situation where you have large numbers of these drives in RAID arrays).

In some unscientific performance comparisons between drives, I have found the RE3s to have "better" performance than the consumer WDC green drives (but a more rigorous comparison from someone would be most welcome).

-stephen

Ted Dunning wrote:
2TB drives are just now dropping to parity with 1TB on a $/GB basis.

If you want space rather than speed, this is a good option.  If you want
speed rather than space, more spindles and smaller disks are better.
Ironically, 500GB drives now often cost more than 1TB drives (that is $, not
$/GB).

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 7:33 AM, Patrick Angeles