Isabel Drost wrote:
On Monday 04 January 2010 13:37:48 Steve Loughran wrote:
Jordà Polo wrote:
I have been thinking about an official Hadoop Debian package for a while
too.
If you want "official" as in can say "Apache Hadoop" on it, then it will
need to be managed and released as an apache project. That means
somewhere in ASF SVN. If you want to cut your own, please give it a
different name to avoid problems later.

Huh? I am lost and confused here: As far as I understood Thomas is trying to create a Debian package which then goes into the Debian distribution (possibly sid at the moment).

I was confused by the term "official". The Hadoop team could certainly release Hadoop RPMs and deb files. which I think is a good idea, just because we should recognise that these are the primary ways you install Hadoop in big clusters. Having RPM/deb files as part of your build process keeps you focused, though it mean that hudson instances not running on linux have to skip some stages (i.e. you need a linux CI server/VM too, plus another one for your install testing)

Same was done e.g. with Lucene, httpd, Tomcat etc. All of these packages are maintained by Debian people and not pushed by Apache guys. Still the packages are named tomcat5.5, apache2.2-common, liblucene-java. So it seems possible to name official Debian packages similar to the upstream Apache project w/o much problems.

OK