Hey Andrew,

I can name 3 California universities (San Diego, Caltech, Santa-Barbera) that
use Hadoop at a small (~20TB raw) or medium scale (~800TB raw).  Why not go
talk to those guys?

Otherwise, you might just be able to confirm old hardware is old  (there's good
money that you might be hard-drive limited, not network limited anyway.
3.4MB/s triple replicated = 10MB/s on PATA, which might approach the hardware
capability).  Alternately, you can always try running on Amazon, which allows
you to test scaling at a very, very marginal cost.

Brian