On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 7:33 AM, stephen mulcahy
<stephen.mulc...@deri.org>wrote:

> On 23/04/10 15:43, Todd Lipcon wrote:
>
>> Hi Stephen,
>>
>> Can you try mounting ext4 with the nodelalloc option? I've seen the same
>> improvement due to delayed allocation butbeen a little nervous about that
>> option (especially in the NN where we currently follow what the kernel
>> people call an antipattern for image rotation).
>>

> Hi Todd,
>
> Sorry for the delayed response - I had to wait for another test window
> before trying this out.
>
> To clarify, my namename and secondary namenode have been using ext4 in all
> tests - reconfiguring the datanodes is a fast operation, the nn and 2nn less
> so. I figure any big performance benefit would appear on the data nodes
> anyway and can then apply it back to the nn and 2nn if testing shows any
> benefits in changing.
>
> So I tried running our datanodes with their ext4 filesystems mounted using
> "noatime,nodelalloc" and after 6 runs of the TeraSort, it seems it runs
> SLOWER with those options by between 5-8%. The TeraGen itself seemed to run
> about 5% faster but it was only a single run so I'm not sure how reliable
> that is.

Yep, that's what I'd expect. noatime should be a small improvement,
nodelalloc should be a small detriment. The thing is that delayed allocation
has some strange cases that could theoretically cause data loss after a
power outage, so I was interested to see if it nullified all of your
performance gains or if it were just a small hit.

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera