Shrinivas,

Assuming you're in the US, I'd recommend the following:

Go with 2TB 7200 SATA hard drives.
(Not sure what type of hardware you have)

What  we've found is that in the data nodes, there's an optimal configuration
that balances price versus performance.

While your chasis may hold 8 drives, how many open SATA ports are on the
motherboard? Since you're using JBOD, you don't want the additional expense of
having to purchase a separate controller card for the additional drives.

I'm running Seagate drives at home and I haven't had any problems for years.
When you look at your drive, you need to know total storage, speed (rpms), and
cache size.
Looking at Microcenter's pricing... 2TB 3.0GB SATA Hitachi was $110.00 A 1TB
Seagate was 70.00
A 250GB SATA drive was $45.00

So 2TB = 110, 140, 180 (respectively)

So you get a better deal on 2TB.

So if you go out and get more drives but of lower density, you'll end up
spending more money and use more energy, but I doubt you'll see a real
performance difference.

The other thing is that if you want to add more disk, you have room to grow.
(Just add more disk and restart the node, right?)
If all of your disk slots are filled, you're SOL. You have to take out the box,
replace all of the drives, then add to cluster as 'new' node.

Just my $0.02 cents.

HTH

-Mike