Going outside of that mechanism will probably yield poor results and/or
confuse Hadoop.

Just my thoughts.

On 06/28/2011 01:27 PM, Saqib Jang -- Margalla Communications wrote:
Darren,
Thanks, the last pt was basically about 10GbE potentially allowing the use
of a network file system e.g. via NFS as an alternative to HDFS, the
question
is there any merit in this. Basically, I was exploring if the commercial
clustered
NAS products offer any high-availability or data management benefits for use
with Hadoop?

Saqib

-----Original Message-----
From: Darren Govoni [mailto:dar...@ontrenet.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:21 AM
To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Sanity check re: value of 10GbE NICs for Hadoop?

Hadoop, like other parallel networked computation architectures is I/O
bound, predominantly.
This means any increase in network bandwidth is "A Good Thing" and can have
drastic positive effects on performance. All your points stem from this
simple realization.

Although I'm confused by your #6. Hadoop already uses a distributed file
system. HDFS.