From: Matthew Foley [mailto:ma...@yahoo-inc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 12:04 PM
To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
Cc: Matthew Foley
Subject: Re: Sanity check re: value of 10GbE NICs for Hadoop?

Hadoop common provides an abstract FileSystem class, and Hadoop applications
should be designed to run on that.  HDFS is just one implementation of a
valid Hadoop filesystem, and ports to S3 and KFS as well as OS-supported
LocalFileSystem are provided in Hadoop common.  Use of NFS-mounted storage
would fall under the LocalFileSystem model.

However, one of the core values of Hadoop is the model of "bring the
computation to the data".  This does not seem viable with an NFS-based
NAS-model storage subsystem.  Thus, while it will "work" for small clusters
and small jobs, it is unlikely to scale with high performance to thousands
of nodes and petabytes of data in the way Hadoop can scale with HDFS or S3.

--Matt