Dear All:

I am trying to run Hadoop on Windows 7 so as to test programs before moving to
Unix/Linux. I have downloaded the Hadoop 0.20.2 and Eclipse 3.6 because I want
to use the plugin. I am also using cygwin. However, I set the environment
variable for JAVA_HOME and added the c:\cygwin\bin;c:\cygwin\usr\bin to the
PATH variable but I still get the error below when trying to start the Hadoop.
This is based on the instructions to edit the file conf/hadoop-env.sh to define
at least JAVA_HOME to be the root of your Java installation which I changed to
"export JAVA_HOME=/cygdrive/c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Java/jdk1.6.0_26" with no
success. I added the \ to escape special characters.

Error:
bin/hadoop: line 258: /cygdrive/c/Program: No such file or directory

I also wanted to find out which is the stable release of Hadoop and which
version of Eclipse and the Plugin should I use? So far almost every tutorial I
have seen from Googling shows different versions like on:
http://developer.yahoo.com/hadoop/tutorial/index.html
OR
http://v-lad.org/Tutorials/Hadoop/00%20-%20Intro.html

In Eclipse the WordCount project has 42 errors because it will not recognize
the "import org.apache......" in the code.

I wanted to test on Windows first to get a feel of Hadoop since I am new to it
and also because I am newbie Unix/Linux user. I have been trying to follow the
tutorials shown at the link above but each time I run into errors with the
plugin or not recognizing the import or JAVA_HOME not set. Please can I get
some help. Thanks

Cheers
A Df