From: Brian Bockelman [bbock...@cse.unl.edu]
Sent: 09/17/2011 05:11 PM EST
To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: risks of using Hadoop

On Sep 16, 2011, at 11:08 PM, Uma Maheswara Rao G 72686 wrote:

> Hi Kobina,
>
> Some experiences which may helpful for you with respective to DFS.
>
> 1. Selecting the correct version.
>    I will recommend to use 0.20X version. This is pretty stable version and
> all other organizations prefers it. Well tested as well.
> Dont go for 21 version.This version is not a stable version.This is risk.
>
> 2. You should perform thorough test with your customer operations.
>  (of-course you will do this :-))
>
> 3. 0.20x version has the problem of SPOF.
>   If NameNode goes down you will loose the data.One way of recovering is by
> using the secondaryNameNode.You can recover the data till last checkpoint.But
> here manual intervention is required.
> In latest trunk SPOF will be addressed bu HDFS-1623.
>
> 4. 0.20x NameNodes can not scale. Federation changes included in latest
> versions. ( i think in 22). this may not be the problem for your cluster. But
> please consider this aspect as well.

With respect to (3) and (4) - these are often completely overblown for many
Hadoop use cases.  If you use Hadoop as originally designed (large scale batch
data processing), these likely don't matter.

If you're looking at some of the newer use cases (low latency stuff or
time-critical processing), or if you architect your solution poorly (lots of
small files), these issues become relevant.  Another case where I see folks get
frustrated is using Hadoop as a "plain old batch system"; for non-data
workflows, it doesn't measure up against specialized systems.

You really want to make sure that Hadoop is the best tool for your job.

Brian