From: Michael Segel [mailto:michael_se...@hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:48 PM
To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: RE: risks of using Hadoop

Kobina

The points 1 and 2 are definitely real risks. SPOF is not.

As I pointed out in my mini-rant to Tom was that your end users / developers
who use the cluster can do more harm to your cluster than a SPOF machine
failure.

I don't know what one would consider a 'long learning curve'. With the adoption
of any new technology, you're talking at least 3-6 months based on the
individual and the overall complexity of the environment.

Take anyone who is a strong developer, put them through Cloudera's training,
plus some play time, and you've shortened the learning curve.
The better the java developer, the easier it is for them to pick up Hadoop.

I would also suggest taking the approach of hiring a senior person who can
cross train and mentor your staff. This too will shorten the runway.

HTH

-Mike