In 0.20.2 The JobClient will update mapred.map.tasks to be equal to the number
of splits returned by the InputFormat.  The input format will usually take
mapred.map.tasks as a recommendation when deciding on what splits to make.
That is the only place in the code that I could find that is setting the value
and could have any impact on the number of mappers launched.  It could be that
Someone changed the number of files that are being read in as input, or that
the block size of the files being read in is now different.  It could also be
that someone started compressing the input files, so now they can not be split.
 If the number of mappers is different it probably means that the input is
different some how.

--Bobby Evans