Tom,

Look,
I've said this before and I'm going to say it again.

Your knowledge of Hadoop is purely academic. It may be ok to talk to C level
execs who visit the San Jose IM Lab or in Markham, but when you give answers on
issues you don't have first hand practical experience, you end up doing more
harm than good.

The problem is that too many people blindly except what they see on the web as
fact when its not always accurate and may not suit their needs.
I've lost count on the number of hours I've spent in meetings trying to undo
the damage cause by someone saying "... but FB does it this way...therefore
that's how we should do it."

Now Michael St.Ack is a pretty smart guy. He knows his shit. He's extremely
credible. However when he says that FB does something a specific way, that is
because FB has certain requirements and the solution works for them. It doesn't
mean that it will be the best solution for your customer/client.

And Tom, if we pull out your business card, you have a nice fancy title with
IBM. So you instantly have some credibility. Unfortunately, you're no St.Ack.
(I'd put a smile face but I'm actually trying to be serious.)

Even in this post, you continue to go down the wrong path.
Unfortunately I don't have time to lecture you on why what you said is wrong
and that your thoughts on cluster design are way off base.
Oh and I tease you because frankly, you deserve it.

I have to apologize to everyone on the list, but in the past, you failed to
actually stop and take the hint that maybe you need to rethink your views on
Hadoop.  That had you had practical experience setting up actual clusters (Not
EC2 clusters) you would have the necessary understanding of what can go wrong
and how to fix it.

If I get time, I'll have to find my copy of "Up Front" by Bill Maudlin. There's
a cartoon that really fits you.

Later