Joey

What is it do you really want to do? Increase the number of map slots available
in the task tracker  or do you want to increase the number of map tasks for a
job?

If you want to increase the number of map slots available, what you did will
work - as long as you restarted the task tracker or the node.
If you want to increase the number of map jobs - you will have to play with,
simplistically speaking, either the number of input files or input block size.

Raj