To follow up on what I have found:

I opened up some of the logs on the datanodes and found this message:
"Can not start task tracker because java.net.BindException: Address
already in use"

It was using the default port setting from mapred-default.xml, which was 50060.
I decided to try an add

  <property>
    <name>mapred.task.tracker.http.address</name>
    <value>0.0.0.0:0</value>
  </property>

to mapred-site.xml so that the first open port would be selected.
This works and it also, allows for the tasktracker to start normally
which in turn allows the mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum setting
to take effect.

Thanks for all who helped.

--Joey