@ Harsh -

Yeah, mapred.task.timeout is the valid option. but for some reasons, its
not happening the way it should be.. I am not sure what could be the
cause.Thing is my jobs are running fine, its just that they are slow at
shuffling phase, sometimes.. not everytime.. so I was thinking "as an admin
- can we control the running of jobs, just as a  test, where we can just
kill the jobs who are taking more time for execution -- not only those jobs
that are hanging..but jobs that are taking more execution time than
expected". Problems in my case is, end-user doesn't want to go through the
pain of managing/controlling jobs over hadoop. They want all these job
handling should happen automatically, so that made me to think in such a
way (which I know is not the best way)

Anyways, going away from the topic -- Is there anyway through which I can
improve my shuffling (through any configuration parameters only, knowing
the fact that users doesn't know the idea of minimizing the key/value
pairs)

Thanks,
Praveenesh