Good to know about the VirtualBox instructions.

Here are a couple of other links that might help on single node:

Single Node Setup
http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/stable/single_node_setup.html

Running_Hadoop_On_OS_X_10.5_64-bit_(Single-Node_Cluster)
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Running_Hadoop_On_OS_X_10.5_64-bit_(Single-Node_Cluster)

Art Ignacio
hortonworks.com