Considering Pig essentially translates scripts into Map Reduce jobs, one
can always write as good Map Reduce jobs as Pig does. You can refer to "Pig
experience" paper to see the overhead Pig introduces, but it's been
improved all the time.

Btw if you really care about the performance, how you configure Hadoop and
Pig can also play an important role.

Thanks,
Jie