Rules of thumb IMO:

You should be using Pig in place of MR jobs at all times that performance
isn't absolutely crucial.  Writing unnecessary MR is needless technical
debt that you will regret as people are replaced and your organization
scales.  Pig gets it done in much less time.  If you need faster jobs, then
optimize your Pig, and if that doesn't work, put a single
MAPREDUCE<http://pig.apache.org/docs/r0.9.2/basic.html#mapreduce> job
at the bottleneck.  Also, realize that it can be hard to actually beat
Pig's performance without experience.  Check that your MR job is actually
faster than Pig at the same load before assuming you can do better than Pig.

Streaming is good if your data doesn't easily map to tuples, you really
like using the abstractions of your favoriate language's MR library, or you
are doing something weird like simulations/pure batch jobs (no mR).

If you're doing a lot of joins and performance is a problem - consider
doing fewer joins.  I would strongly suggest that you prioritize
de-normalizing and duplicating data over switching to raw MR jobs because
HIVE joins are slow.  MapReduce is slow at joins.  Programmer time is more
valuable than machine time.  If you're having to write tons of raw MR, then
get more machines.

--
Russell Jurney twitter.com/rjurney russell.jur...@gmail.com datasyndrome.com