From: Tony Burton [mailto:tbur...@sportingindex.com]
Sent: 12 March 2012 18:05
To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: decompressing bzip2 data with a custom InputFormat

 Hi,

I'm setting up a map-only job that reads large bzip2-compressed data files,
parses the XML and writes out the same data in plain text format. My XML
InputFormat extends TextInputFormat and has a RecordReader based upon the one
you can see at http://xmlandhadoop.blogspot.com/ (my version of it works great
for uncompressed XML input data). For compressed data, I've added
io.compression.codecs to my core-site.xml and set it to
o.a.h.io.compress.BZip2Codec. I'm using Hadoop 0.20.2.

Have I forgotten something basic when running a Hadoop job to read compressed
data? Or, given that I've written my own InputFormat, should I be using an
InputStream that can carry out the decompression itself?

Thanks

Tony

This email and any attachments are confidential, protected by copyright and may
be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, then the
dissemination or copying of this email is prohibited. If you have received this
in error, please notify the sender by replying by email and then delete the
email completely from your system.  Neither Sporting Index nor the sender
accepts responsibility for any virus, or any other defect which might affect
any computer or IT system into which the email is received and/or opened.  It
is the responsibility of the recipient to scan the email and no responsibility
is accepted for any loss or damage arising in any way from receipt or use of
this email.  Sporting Index Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales
with company number 2636842, whose registered office is at Brookfield House,
Green Lane, Ivinghoe, Leighton Buzzard, LU7 9ES.  Sporting Index Ltd is
authorised and regulated by the UK Financial Services Authority (reg. no.
150404). Any financial promotion contained herein has been issued
and approved by Sporting Index Ltd.

Outbound email has been scanned for viruses and SPAM
www.sportingindex.com
Inbound Email has been scanned for viruses and SPAM